Being physically active, drinking more water, cutting out excess sugar and carbs from the diet, eating fortified nutritious food, etc., are some of the ways one can use to enhance one’s physical health. However, to enrich overall wellbeing, it is indispensable to take care of one’s mental health as well. When talking about mental health, people generally associate it with disorders like anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and so on, however, mental health is more than these disorders. It is the state of overall wellbeing which enables an individual to realize their true potential, cope with normal life stressors, work productively, and even contribute positively to the society.
To achieve a true equilibrium between physical and mental health, it is imperative to invest sometime on an everyday basis which can help one to build resilience, stay away from intoxicants like alcohol and other substances, and develop a positive outlook towards life. Some of the steps that one can take to boost their mental health on a daily basis include:
- Spending time on meditation: Research has established that meditation can help one in improving their concentration and memory. Additionally, it also enhances the volume of gray matter in the brain which is associated with emotional processing and learning. Besides, it greatly helps in alleviating the symptoms of anxiety and depression. One can start with a few minutes of meditation every day and work their way up to longer durations.
- Getting more sleep: Lack of quality and quantity sleep can make one grumpy, making them drag through the day without any focus or purpose. A good quality sleep, however, can increase the attention span of an individual, enhance mood, and keep them away from mental disorders like anxiety and depression. One must try sleeping for at least 7 to 8 hours daily, preferably have a fixed sleep schedule, and rest in a cool dark room.
- Practicing gratitude: To be mentally strong, one should trade self-pity with gratitude. Expressing gratitude for everything that one has in life and thanking others can be a life transforming experience. It helps in fostering meaningful relationships, reduces a plethora of toxic emotions, enhances empathy, improves self-esteem, and boosts overall mental health. One can start by writing a gratitude journal every day.
- Replacing negative thoughts with happy thoughts: One must strive consciously to break the pattern of negative thinking and replace it with positive affirmations. This will help one develop a positive and optimistic attitude towards life. This might seem overwhelming initially but with practice, one can master this art.
- Reading for some time every day: Reading can boost mental health in many ways. It can make the reader more empathetic, can boost mental flexibility, enhance rationality and creativity, improve brain connectivity and function, and even stave off dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Socializing more: Maintaining ties with friends, volunteering, seeing family members every now and then, and staying connected with colleagues beyond work can be a mentally enriching experience. This is because human beings are social beings and staying connected with others is important for them. Connecting with others helps decrease the feelings of isolation which is an important trigger for depression. Socialization keeps stress levels under check and improves the overall quality of life.
Seeking help for mental wellbeing
Apart from the above mentioned steps, learning a new skill, exercising, eating healthy fats, practicing mindfulness and yoga, celebrating the small things in life are some of the additional tips to stimulate one’s mental health. However, there are times when these efforts go futile. This could be the case when there is a deeper underlying problem that needs to be addressed by a professional and at the earliest.
If you or a loved one is facing any such issue and is looking for a reliable behavioral health center, get in touch with Invictus Health Group. We have partnered with multiple residential mental health centers that offer comprehensive evidence-based mental health recovery plans for patients dealing with mental health disorders. Call our 24/7 mental health helpline 866-548-0190 and speak with a representative to understand the options to achieve a better mental health. You can also chat online with our experts who can guide you about the services offered at our partner treatment centers.